Curtis, Lisa K. Esq.
Address: 215 Central Avenue NW Suite 300, Albuquerque, NM 87102
Lawyer Firm: Curtis & Lucero
|Areas of Practice||Medical Malpractice, Bad Faith, Complex Litigation, Federal Appellate Practice, Federal Claims Court, Federal Trial Practice, State Appellate Practice, State Trial Practice, Aviation Accidents — Plaintiff, Defamation & Privacy — Plaintiff, Motor Vehicle Accidents — Plaintiff, Premises Liability — Plaintiff, Property Damage — Plaintiff, Slip and Fall — Plaintiff, Wrongful Death — Plaintiff, Civil Rights, Products Liability, Fair Labor Standards Act Violations, Violent Torts, Sexual Abuse|
For 23 years, Lisa has prosecuted negligent and reckless corporations, people, insurance companies and the government in civil cases for New Mexico’s working families, dedicating her career to helping and protecting victims killed or permanently harmed because of the wrongful conduct of others.
Lisa is primarily a malpractice trial lawyer. She graduated from the University of New Mexico School of Law in 1993, where she was distinguished with the Tort Scholar Award for her graduating class. Following law school, she immediately began civil trial practice. Her practice has focused over the last decade on prosecuting primarily medical malpractice cases for patients killed or permanently harmed by bad medical care. She has handled and tried cases on behalf of hundreds of victims. She has worked directly against insurance companies for bad faith insurance practices, automobile and semi-truck crashes, products liability cases, Fair Labor Standards Act violations and violent torts, most notably helping children who were the victims of sexual abuse. It was because of this work that Lisa introduced key legislation in the 2012 session to extend the time a victim of childhood sexual abuse can pursue charges against their abuser.
Lisa has had the privilege of representing countless New Mexico families over the years, including the Cardon family. After a long trial against a careless doctor, the jury found the doctor to have recklessly caused the death of their much beloved mother. The jury assessed a verdict of over $6 million against the doctor. The Jury’s high verdict sent a message to the New Mexico Medical Board who then restricted that doctor’s license, so that similar harm could not happen to another family.
Other cases represented by Lisa include holding an alcoholic surgeon accountable in a wrongful death case, who negligently operated while actively drinking (he then surrendered his license to practice medicine because of the case); and another powerful doctor’s license was taken because he was sexually abusing his patients. These and other doctors, who have committed gross negligence, have had their licenses surrendered or restricted because of Lisa’s commitment to the victims and their families.
In Spencer v. Health Force, Lisa’s case created case law that requires home healthcare agencies to make sure their employees are safe for the vulnerable elderly and disabled population they care for. In other appellate cases she solidified rights of people against irresponsible insurance companies in both the Supreme Court and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals through Sloan v. State Farm. Lisa is known in the legal community for protecting the rights of children in the settlement of claims through our state appellate court, and is currently fighting our government to be responsible when they caused an elderly man’s wrongful death.
Lisa was selected for inclusion by her peers for "The Best Lawyers in America", a Super Lawyer for New Mexico in Medical Malpractice, and a Top 100 Trial Lawyer for New Mexico by The American Trial Lawyers Association. She was appointed by the Supreme Court and currently serves on the State Bar Committee on the Judiciary and the New Mexico Supreme Court Civil Rules Committee.
Lisa is Trustee of her Fund, the LK Curtis Children’s Fund, which seeks out programs to protect and enhance the education and lives of children in New Mexico. Lisa is married to her very supportive husband, Bob Curtis, and is raising four very busy teenage children.
Cases on Appeal
New Mexico Supreme Court
· Estate of Brice v. Toyota Motor Corp., 2016-NMSC-018, 373 P.3d 977
· Spencer v. Health Force, Inc., 2005-NMSC-002, 137 N.M. 64, 107 P.3d 504
· Sloan v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. (In re Sloan), 2004-NMSC-004, 135 N.M. 106, 85 P.3d 230
New Mexico Court of Appeals
· Wirth v. Sun Healthcare Grp., Inc., 2017-NMCA-007, 389 P.3d 295
· Herald v. Bd. of Regents of the Univ. of N.M., 2015-NMCA-104, 357 P.3d 438
· Estate of Lajeuenesse v. Bd. of Regents, 2013-NMCA-004, 292 P.3d 485
· Merino v. N.M. Med. Review Comm’n, 2012 N.M. App. Unpub. LEXIS 70 (Ct. App. Feb. 21, 2012)
· Otero v. City of Albuquerque, 1998-NMCA-137, 125 N.M. 770, 965 P.2d 354
10th Circuit Court of Appeals
· Estate of Cummings v. United States, 651 Fed. Appx. 822 (10th Cir. 2016)
· Smith v. Aztec Well Servicing Co., 462 F.3d 1274 (10th Cir. 2006)
· Sloan v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 360 F.3d 1220 (10th Cir. 2004)
· Gonzales v. United States, No. 96-2167, 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 1343 (10th Cir. Jan. 30, 1998)
Update Curtis, Lisa K. Esq. information | View Google Map
Other lawyers in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Flores, Adam - 8 views
- Sullivan, Patrick W. - 1 views
- Berenson, Rachel - 8 views
- Frechette, Roderick T. II - 5 views
- Jaffe, Mark S. - 11 views
- Couture, Tamara Esq. - 5 views
- Turner, Scott E. - 5 views
- Giddens, George “Dave” - 8 views
- Branch, Brian K. - 7 views
- Shekter, Jamison R. - 7 views
Popular lawyers in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Curry, Katie - 10 views
- Atkins, Tyler John - 10 views
- Payne, Cynthia - 12 views
- Devine, D’Marcos P. - 114 views
- Mitchell, Jeffrey M. - 10 views
- Kennedy, Shannon L. - 10 views
- Comeau, Stephen Paul - 8 views
- Terr, Lewis J. - 12 views
- Richter, David A. - 8 views
- Kelin, Zackeree Sean - 11 views
Most rated lawyers in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Foote, Jennifer - 0 votes
- Lucero, Amalia Skogen Esq. - 0 votes
- Romero, Geoffrey R. - 0 votes
- Curry, Katie - 0 votes
- Crecca, Alexander D. - 0 votes
- Ashton, Elizabeth Esq. - 0 votes
- Engelmann, Tatiana D. - 0 votes
- Kennedy, Joseph P. - 0 votes
- Baker, Caela J. - 0 votes
- Lee, Chris - 0 votes