Hickey, Daniel W.
Address: 1029 West 3rd Avenue Suite 510, Anchorage, AK 99501
Lawyer Firm: Gruenstein, Hickey, Havelock & Duffy
|Areas of Practice||Business and Commercial Litigation, Wrongful Termination, Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law, Negligence|
Dan Hickey earned his law degree from Georgetown University in 1971. He was admitted to the Alaska Bar in 1972 and has been practicing in Alaska ever since as an Assistant Attorney General from 1971-73; as Juneau District Attorney from 1973 to 1975; and as Chief Prosecutor for the State of Alaska, from 1975-85. He has been in private practice since 1985.
As Chief Prosecutor for the State of Alaska Mr. Hickey was the principal architect of Alaska’s new criminal code, which has been widely praised as one of the most progressive and modern in the U. S. In a 2004 article in the Anchorage Daily News, University of Alaska-Anchorage Professor Steven Haycox wrote the following about Mr. Hickey:
"But in Alaska we have forgotten that the same impulses that motivated Bernstein and Woodward, and then the nation, penetrated here, as well. If you recall, for example, that attorney Dan Hickey and others prosecuted the visible and powerful in Alaska politics at the height of the oil boom . . . ."
"Hickey was motivated by the same impulse and conviction that moved Woodward and Bernstein: honest government. Unlike Watergate, however, Hickey’s work is little remembered. It should be. Our young people need to learn that change is possible, that wrongs can be righted, that political engagement has point and promise, that they have the power to make society better, that people care. The story of Hickey’s prosecutions is one way to humanize their study of Alaska and to make history and politics accessible."
In his private practice, Mr. Hickey has continued to right wrongs on behalf of injured Alaskans, and his other clients. Mr. Hickey’s practice emphasizes work on behalf of individuals injured by the negligence of others, commercial litigation, health care law, business and commercial litigation, wrongful termination, and white collar crime. His clients in private practice have included the State of Alaska in litigation against the North Slope Oil Producers, Holland America Line, Providence Health & Services – Alaska, Fred Meyer Stores, Channel Construction, Inc., of Juneau, and many individual Alaskans injured by the negligence of others.
Mr. Hickey lives in Anchorage with his wife, Laurie Herman.
Other lawyers in Anchorage, Alaska
- Bowman, Timothy W. - 4 views
- Eschbacher, Justin R. - 1 views
- Eschbacher, Gary R. - 2 views
- Rankin, Christina A. - 9 views
- Mendel, Allison E. - 2 views
- Matthews, Thomas A. - 4 views
- Rehbock, Robert A. - 1 views
- Schneider, Michael J. - 3 views
- Gruenstein, Peter E. - 3 views
- Butterfield, Rhonda F. - 4 views
Popular lawyers in Anchorage, Alaska
- Duffy, Brian - 8 views
- Hickey, Daniel W. - 22 views
- Skala, Jason - 5 views
- Foley, Susan Behlke - 7 views
- Zahare, A. Michael - 4 views
- Wyatt, Mitchell K. - 9 views
- Pearson, William Michael - 6 views
- Kalamarides, Joseph A. - 10 views
- Graves, Cheryl L. - 4 views
- Pace, Daniel I. - 5 views
Most rated lawyers in Anchorage, Alaska
- Mendel, Allison E. - 0 votes
- Hannam (formerly Schoolcraft), Kenneth G. - 0 votes
- Valdez, Fred H. - 0 votes
- Linxwiler, Robyn - 0 votes
- Zahare, A. Michael - 0 votes
- Lyle, George R. - 0 votes
- Fink, Joshua P. - 0 votes
- Butterfield, Rhonda F. - 0 votes
- Patteson, Curtis Wayne - 0 votes
- Stock, Margaret D. - 0 votes